As the leader goes, so goes the organization they lead. What does health look like for a leader? In today’s episode John and Jim unpack two behaviors they’ve observed in pastors who’ve maintained a good level of health over a long period of time.
Here are the show notes:
Behavior 1: Healthy pastors possess a vibrant walk with God
- Healthy pastors remember why they signed up for the ministry in the first place: Love for God. Appreciation of His redemptive work of grace in their lives
- The machinery of ministry possesses the uncanny capacity to subtly chip away at a pastor’s love relationship with Jesus.
- Healthy pastors rarely forget why they do what they do… love for God. And so, they prioritize and feed that relationship.
Behavior 2: Healthy pastors plan and implement a solid emotional well-being strategy
- Demonstrating calendar control
- Making time for exercise, hobbies, and friendship.
- Adopting healthy work/rest rhythms.
- Improved ability to express anger without saying or doing something regrettable
- Setting and enforcing appropriate relational boundaries.
Healthy pastors take personal responsibility for recharging their emotional batteries.